Gerstner Philanthropies was founded in by Louis V. Gerstner, Jr. and has program areas in Biomedical Research, Education, Helping Hands, and Environment as well as selected other grants. Most grants are to organizations in New York, Boston, and Palm Beach County.
We are a small family foundation in search of a Program Associate to support the Environment and Biomedical Research program areas. This role will be responsible for supporting the Program Director in Environment and the Executive Director in Biomedical Research in all aspects of grant strategy, program development and grantee relationship management. The Program Associate holds a variety of responsibilities related to the research, analysis and coordination of grantmaking activities. The Program Associate will also serve as a strong conduit for shared learning within and across teams. The Program Associate will be expected to become deeply engaged in each of the program areas and develop relationships with our grantee partners as well as outside industry and foundation partners. Limited travel to attend convenings and site visits will be required. This position is available for an immediate start.
Responsibilities will include the following, in varying degrees depending on workflow, as well as other tasks as needed.
Research, Monitoring, Reporting and Knowledge Management
- Conduct research for the Director and Executive Director using a variety of external and internal resources (e.g., websites, online publications, Google Scholar, and Foundant).
- Summarize research findings in written documents, databases, or presentations.
- Act as the knowledge manager for Environment and Biomedical Research, organizing and managing materials, and advising colleagues on how to access and use the information.
- Maintain grantee pipeline reports and internal reporting documents.
- Compile information for internal memos and presentations to support decision-making.
- Keep abreast of and synthesize news and trends within the program areas, communicating key updates and potential follow-ups to managers.
- At the direction of the Program and Executive Director, attend relevant meetings / conferences to gather information and knowledge to advance the foundation’s work.
Grants Portfolio Development and Management
- Manage and engage in the grants application and review process.
- Review grant proposals and help prepare recommended grant approval memos.
- Coordinate with the Grants Manager and Finance team to draft grant agreements, maintain grant records, and set up payment and reporting schedules. Communicate budgets and projected cash flow needs throughout the year.
- Present grantee updates and recommendations to Foundation leadership.
- Track grant impact and grantee progress and news; report on outcomes and insights. Support and manage program evaluations as needed.
- Review Foundant to periodically create a summary analysis of the grant portfolio.
Grantee Relationship and Meeting Management
- Schedule and arrange logistical details for grantee calls, meetings, and site visits.
- Develop and prepare background research and meeting materials for grantee meetings.
- Attend meetings and summarize discussions and next steps in meeting notes.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of experience working in program related capacity in the philanthropy or nonprofit sector and / or deep grounding in subject matter related to Environment or Biomedical
- Strong proficiency in research and synthesizing information in both written and oral forms
- Strong proficiency with the use of software platforms and high degree of comfort with multiple technology applications, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Suite
- Exceptional organizational and communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a multitasking environment
- Work well independently and collaboratively
- Hard-working and eager to learn
- Sense of humor